Monday, May 24, 2010

Linguine with Clams

A simple and delicious recipe from Alice Waters.  This is the second time I've had this in 3 days.  If I pre-soak the clams I can start cooking and be eating in less than 30 minutes.  This is one of those recipes that makes me realize there's really no excuse for not making a hot meal for myself.

Clam Linguini

Linguine with Clams (adapted from The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters)

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs small clams
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/8 tsp dried chile flakes
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 3/4 lb uncooked linguine
  • 1 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
  • parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Method
  1. Wash the clams well under cold water, and soak for 30 minutes to get all the sand out.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
  3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan.  When it's hot, add the clams, tomato, garlic, chile flakes, and wine.  Cover and cook until the clams open, about 6 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, cook the linguine in the pot of boiling salted water to al dente, about 6 minutes.
  5. When the clams are open, stir in 3 tbsp olive oil and the parsley, if using.
  6. Drain the linguine, toss with the clam sauce, add more salt if needed, and top with parmesan cheese if desired.  Serve immediately.
Note: You can use larger clams; if you do, steam them open then remove them from their shells and chop them up.  Add them to the sauce along with the parsley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "pre-soak the clams"? I've never worked with clams before but I am going to try this recipe. It looks too delicious to pass by!

Jen said...

Oh I mean step #1. If I soak the clams for 30 minutes at some point in the day before cooking, I can finish the cooking in 30 minutes start to finish. Otherwise, it will take an hour, as the clams will need to soak before starting. Hope that helps and good luck!