Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Dinner: Fish Tacos

You know what I loved about this Friday Dinner? Well, actually, I loved a few things. But you know what was the best thing? The fact that Trix and I both made fish tacos, and yet almost everything about them was different. We both used tortillas, salsa, and fish, but none were the same. The other things I loved: 1) it's a healthy meal; and 2) it was delicious, yet fast and easy to prepare.



Trix used corn tortillas; I used flour. She used regular cabbage; I used Napa cabbage. She added shredded carrot to hers; I didn't. (The recipe we were basing this meal off of used shredded carrot and jicama -- I didn't feel like using carrot and I couldn't find jicama at the store, even though I've bought it before.)

I pan "grilled" my fish (flounder) using my new Le Creuset grilling pan:



She broiled her fish (halibut) in the oven:



I made a traditional tomato salsa while Trix adapted an avocado and mango salsa to an avocado and pineapple salsa. Mine was OK; she said hers was excellent. I think when mangoes are in season I'm definitely going to be trying that salsa!



We both warmed our tortillas -- she in the oven, me in the microwave -- then piled on the goodies. Since there isn't much of a recipe for this, the recipes I'll share are the two salsas!



Mango Avocado Salsa

Ingredients
  • 1 ripe and firm mango, peeled and chopped
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 1 dash garlic salt (optional)

Method

  1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill 20-30 minutes before serving.

Tomato Salsa

Ingredients

  • 1 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion (about half a small-sized one)
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno, diced (about half a medium-sized one)
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Method

  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.

No comments: